When I first ran for Congress I made specific promises to the voters of the 2nd Congressional District.
I promised to reign in out-of-control spending. When I was first elected our country had annual deficits of over $1 trillion. I have worked to decrease our deficit by over 60%. I voted for budgets that decreased spending for three consecutive years for the first time since the Korean War. There is so much more work to do, but we are making progress.
I promised to be a leader on national security issues. I serve on the highly influential Intelligence Committee. I have become an expert on national security issues and other Members of Congress rely on my expertise to make informed decisions regarding the safety of our country.
I promised to hold government accountable. I was appointed to the powerful Appropriations Committee. My work on this committee sets funding levels and species how federal agencies can and cannot spend taxpayer’s dollars. There is no more important means by which Congress applies the power of the purse to influence policy.
I promised to fight to return control of land to Utah. I formed and chair the Federal Land Action Group, which is working to create the legislative framework to return control of our lands to the state and local governments.
I have kept the promises I made to you. There is still more progress to be made and I will continue to fight for you and conservative values.
• Voted over 40 times for repeal/defund Obamacare
• Fought to ensure a strong national defense
• Sponsored legislation to demilitarize federal agencies and reign in federal regulatory law enforcement
• Held numerous forums and information sessions to educate my colleagues in Congress of the importance of local control of lands and other issues facing western states.
• Used my position on the Intelligence Committee to focus on critical national security problems facing the nation
• Sponsored legislation to provide more health care choices for veterans
• Spearheaded an effort to bring a lawsuit against the President for executive overreach
• Successfully fought for the restoration of Payment in Lieu of Taxes from the Federal Government to rural counties
• Decreased funding for agencies that have overstepped and abused their authority, such as the EPA and IRS
• Prevented federal agencies from implementing egregious regulations that would hurt businesses, the economy, and you
• Fought to cut and reform Food Stamp, EPA, Education, federal grants and other wasteful programs
• Fought to return control of education policy to state local school boards
• Asserted power from my position on the Appropriations Committee to reduce wasteful spending and advance conservative priorities.